Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of LaVonne Shpakoff
Policy & procedures
by LaVonne Shpakoff - Wednesday, November 25, 2009, 10:55 AM

Hello,

As we are in the process of starting our sim lab, I was wondering if anyone has or would like to share their policy for sim lab use.

Thanks,

LaVonne Shpakoff

Wayne State University

Detroit, MI

Picture of vickie valenziano
Re: Policy & procedures
by vickie valenziano - Friday, November 27, 2009, 8:25 PM

LaVonne, I too am developing policies for our new sim lab. So far I have found several examples but nothing comprehensive. Basically policies I am developing include: scheduling use of the sim lab; outlining the roles such as what the faculty do, what the coordinator does, who cleans up; rules for students in the lab; scheduling and conducting student orientation; and handling ordering supplies. It probably is unique to each lab. It seems a little crazy to have to outline some of these things but in the past I didn't have these policies and there was much confusion.

Let me know if there are others you are considering.

Vickie Valenziano
Cuesta College
San Luis Obispo, California
Picture of Liz Sinclair
Re: Policy & procedures
by Liz Sinclair - Friday, December 4, 2009, 3:43 PM

Hi LaVonne,

I too have been drafting up policies and procedures for our simulation lab.  It has been helpful to peruse the websites of various colleges and universities, several of which have their simulation lab policies posted online.  This has helped me to become aware of some of the issues that could arise and why it would be necessary to have a policy in place.  I also imagine that by being able to demonstrate that other institutions have similar policies in place, I will be able to defend my policy suggestions to those that might be inclined to oppose said policies.

Liz Sinclair

Red Deer College

Red Deer, AB