Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of vickie valenziano
students rotating through sim lab
by vickie valenziano - Monday, October 19, 2009, 9:15 PM

I would like suggestions on scheduling students in the sim lab. Is it better to run one clinical group through each week, or try to get all the groups done in one week? I know programs that run simulations the entire day and are quite successful in getting several clinical groups done on that day. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these? Thanks.

Vickie

Picture of Megan McClintock
Re: students rotating through sim lab
by Megan McClintock - Tuesday, November 10, 2009, 4:36 PM

It might be simpler for you, in terms of setting up and cleaning up, to run them through in one day. I think one of the major disadvantages is during debriefing it can be difficult to remember what happened with one group compared to what happened with other groups. I am running two groups back to back and we don't debrief until both groups are done. However, many times I find myself wanting to discuss something with the first group, but by the time the second group has run through it seems less important to me.

You might try it both ways and see what works better for you.

Megan McClintock
Picture of ghada almukhaini
by ghada almukhaini - Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:25 AM

you are right Megan, but for our school with such a big student accommodation and 1 teacher each group( group of 8-10) students .for the debriefing it is going to very successful ,, but i have another problem .. i will list my concern down:

- i have 10 labs and each lab one group with their own group 

- but the student come every week for 5 hours as a clinical skill practice and demonstration .

- the student come after they finish the theory part of the required material( basic) . at the end i find it difficult for me as a simulation lab coordinator building our simulation running that way  to succeed.because they only practice the skill acquired and they leave .. no simulation activities made.. next semester i  would like to make some changes in the plan for the simulation lab practice . 

- when it come for the final exams ,, they let the students  to( Lot )the old traditional skill and not have the real simulation according to the skills they have made . 

would you mind helping me in that .i am from ( saudi arabia) . 

galmukhaini@ksu.edu.sa

by ghada almukhaini - Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:29 AM

you are right Megan, but for our school with such a big student accommodation and 1 teacher each group( group of 8-10) students .for the debriefing it is going to very successful ,, but i have another problem .. i will list my concern down:

- i have 10 labs and each lab one group with their own group 

- but the student come every week for 5 hours as a clinical skill practice and demonstration .

- the student come after they finish the theory part of the required material( basic) . at the end i find it difficult for me as a simulation lab coordinator building our simulation running that way  to succeed.because they only practice the skill acquired and they leave .. no simulation activities made.. next semester i  would like to make some changes in the plan for the simulation lab practice . 

- when it come for the final exams ,, they let the students  to( Lot )the old traditional skill and not have the real simulation according to the skills they have made . 

would you mind helping me in that .i am from ( saudi arabia) . 

galmukhaini@ksu.edu.sa

by ghada almukhaini - Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:28 AM

hello vickie,

what are the name of the programs that run this type of simulation ,, because i have a huge No. of students and i have enough room for the whole groups and the teachers as well .. 

could u share that with me 

ghada

galmukhaini@ksu.edu.sa