Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Sheryl Scott
new to simulation
by Sheryl Scott - Thursday, October 15, 2009, 3:09 PM

I am a new nursing faculty member in a new nursing program and we will be setting up a new skills lab with vital sims. I am looking for any suggestions, ideas, words of wisdom, etc. that anyone might have regarding the set up of a new lab. Thank you!

Picture of Andrea Ackermann
Re: new to simulation
by Andrea Ackermann - Monday, October 19, 2009, 6:17 PM

Hi Sheryl,

SIRC can provide you with tips on teaching to setting up the lab to evaluating students. I know when you are starting it can be daunting, however the best thing to do is decide what is best for your students and your nursing program right now. If you are just starting, I would suggest you look at the first module offered on the home page, Designing and Developing Simulations. To set up the lab itself, you can choose Desinging a Simulation Center. This can get you started. I began our simulation program with one SimMan and a Vital Sim Anne. I would be happy to talk with you off list if you want.

Andy Ackermann
ackerman@msmc.edu
Picture of vickie valenziano
Re: new to simulation
by vickie valenziano - Monday, October 19, 2009, 9:08 PM

Sheryl, it may seem overwhelming now, but what a great opportunity for you! I have been preparing for simulation for several years and when it all comes together it is quite something. Begin by networking with others from web groups and conferences. There is much information to read that will help you get started. I am now doing the NLN CEU offerings and really find them helpful. Don't forget to contact schools that are close to you and visit them to see what they are doing. I belonged to a group of about 20 schools and we met monthly at a different school and helped each other set up labs. They continue to be helpful still.

As far as labs go, when purchasing anything, think double-duty. A table and chair can be a desk, a nurses station, used for tutoring, and I once had to use it for a bed for a manikin. Having items on rollers also helps until you know the exact configuration of the room.

I would be glad to email with you privately if you would like more information. Good luck!

Vickie Valenziano
vvalen254@aol.com