Maximizing Fidelity

Picture of Steve Jordan
How to simulate a blood transfusion
by Steve Jordan - Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 10:32 AM
I realize it could be fairly simple to use the laerdal blood in an iv bag to get the color right. Was wondering though how to simulate the bag and stuff. Also the documentation. In our hospital, you have a blood band with the stickers, and the checkoff sheet that comes off a dot matrix printer.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Picture of Jason King
Re: How to simulate a blood transfusion
by Jason King - Tuesday, October 13, 2009, 11:27 AM

At my hospital, I was able to create a word document that matches our Blood Administration profile. I also created a document for the "stickers" for the front of the blood transfusion bag. This way the documentation has the patient's name and all other identifying criteria that matches the "stickers" on the bag. As far as the pt's armband, I was able to get a few from our lab and insert the pt's information.

Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 3:23 PM
Jason, I believe it is Pocket Nurse who has blood bags with realistic labels for purchase. We have several blood types. We don't spike them but use them for checking appropriate items. We obtained copies of blood forms from the facilities our students go to including nursing forms.

Vickie Valenziano
Picture of Connie Cockerel
by Connie Cockerel - Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 4:41 PM

I like the idea about getting the blood forms from the various clinical sites. Thank you