Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of LaVonne Shpakoff
Simulation contracts/agreements
by LaVonne Shpakoff - Wednesday, August 19, 2009, 11:12 PM

Hello to everyone,

My name is LaVonne Shpakoff and our nursing program is getting ready to open the simulation lab soon. I am already getting requests from nearby hospitals that want to use our lab for part of their new nurse orientation. Does anyone have thoughts or ideas on the type of contract I need to develop and has anyone costed out a user fee?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you,

LaVonne Shpakoff RN, MSN

Director: Simulation Lab

Wayne State University, Detroit, MI

am7228@wayne.edu

Picture of Steve Jordan
Re: Simulation contracts/agreements
by Steve Jordan - Monday, August 24, 2009, 10:27 AM

I think this is a wonderful opportunity for you. You can use this to build a symbiotic relationship with this hospital. You can use this to secure clinical slots, maybe even swap lab time for some equipment that is needed...etc. Use your imagination.
Picture of Lynn LeBlanc
Re: Simulation contracts/agreements
by Lynn LeBlanc - Thursday, August 27, 2009, 6:00 PM

LaVonne

I have an example of what we use for our local hospitals that use our simulation lab.  I will send it to your e-mail address.  We do not charge the hospitals, which is good and bad.  The only expense we really have is my time.  Now that I know what I'm doing, I'm only in the room to run the scenarios (the hospital educators take care of the debriefing).  We have been focusing on processes and hospital policies for this group more than skill performance. 

We also have a laptop available and can log into the hospital training site for charting.  This is very helpful with debriefing. 

I prefer orientation with the nurses who have been working awhile, but we get them with varying degrees of experience.  When someone has only been working 6 weeks, I don't know if simulation is as helpful as it is when the person has been working 3 months.  I think the nurses are pretty overwhelmed early on.  It is interesting though, no matter how much experience, the nurse orientees all seem to get something good from simulation.

Good luck!

Lynn LeBlanc, RN, BA, MSN

Program Associate

University of Dubuque

Dubuque, IA 52001

lleblanc@dbq.edu