Interprofessional Education

Picture of Hope Jones
Physical Therapy Scenarios
by Hope Jones - Monday, 13 July 2009, 10:52 AM

Our PT department wants to do some simulation next semester.  Is anybody using any scenarios geared toward PT students or incorporating PT students with nursing scenarios?  Thanks!

Hope Jones

Bellarmine University

Picture of Teresa Conner-Kerr
Re: Physical Therapy Scenarios
by Teresa Conner-Kerr - Tuesday, 14 July 2009, 11:26 AM

Hello Hope,

We have been doing simulations with the METI simulators in our PT Program for ~2 1/2 years.  We have a variety of scenarios that we have created and we have adapted some nursing ones for our use.  We also use the sims to teach skills.  We are starting a simulation SIG in the acute care section of the APTA.  We will have a meeting at CSM in San Diego.

Teresa

Picture of Darlene Rogers
by Darlene Rogers - Tuesday, 8 June 2010, 12:37 PM

Hi Teresa:  I see that this post is a year old, but I was wondering if you would be willing to share some of your PT scenarios.  We just built a new sim suite, and PT is climbing on board for simulation in the fall.  I would love to know how others are using sim for different disciplines (OT, PT, PA).  We have only used it for nursing so far, but I expect this will continue to grow. 
Picture of Sandra K Voll
by Sandra K Voll - Tuesday, 8 June 2010, 2:04 PM

We do a multi-disciplinary simulation that simulates an 8 bed, med-surg unit. The senior pre-licensure RN students focus on priority setting & delegation while caring for the patients with complex physical & psychosocial needs. PT students do assessments & treatments on the patients, while Social Work students also round on the same patients.
Sandy Voll, MS, NP, CNM
Virginia Commonwealth Univ, School of Nursing
Richmond, VA
Picture of Cheryl Landis
by Cheryl Landis - Tuesday, 8 June 2010, 3:14 PM

Sandy, It sounds like so much work to create patient charts. Can you explain how that big project was accomplished? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Cheryl Landis MSN RN

clandis@lcctc.org

Picture of Wendy Grbach
by Wendy Grbach - Tuesday, 8 June 2010, 4:42 PM

We have done the same with our patient scenarios...yes cahrt development is time consuming.  Basically provided the bare bones of what students find in real patient charts.  We have also replicated a nurse hand off sheet for report btwn caregivers.

Wendy :)

Picture of Sandra K Voll
by Sandra K Voll - Tuesday, 8 June 2010, 4:52 PM

We were able to get actual patient charts from our academic medical center that were "cleansed" of actual patient identification (good ole black magic marker!). That was invaluable. We have used the same charts for the last 4 years. The simulations take different paths each semester. Invaluable. The consults, histories, etc are fabulous.
Sandy svoll@vcu.edu