Simulation Settings and Specialties

Picture of Hope Jones
OB simulation
by Hope Jones - Friday, July 10, 2009, 1:59 PM

I am interested in what OB/birthing simulators people are using.  We are just starting our simulation lab and I don't know a lot about them.  If you do have them, what do you think?  In your opinion, what is the best one?  Do you know if anyone is coming out with a new one soon?  The OB faculty at our school has heard bad reviews of NOELLE.  Thanks for your feedback!

Hope Jones

Bellarmine University

Picture of Captain Silvertooth
Re: OB simulation
by Captain Silvertooth - Monday, November 23, 2009, 7:11 PM

Hello. I missed when you first posted this - I know Noelle has had quite a bit of updates recently. What are the bad things you've heard? I've kept up on most of the Noelle features/reliability. Maybe I can help.
Picture of Marjorie Scheikl
by Marjorie Scheikl - Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 12:52 PM

Our university purchased Noelle years back but did not buy the EFM and so we feel like we can't do much with her. You can have students listen to the FHR and set the mannequin to deliver but thats it.

If you get this, and if they still make all the parts, buy the whole thing.

Sincerely,
Marjie Scheikl
Picture of durcilla williams
by durcilla williams - Tuesday, December 8, 2009, 7:39 PM

We bought a Novell Birthing simulator and use her for a post op appy on a gravid patient.  The students have to assess the abdomen with painted on stitiches and dressing of the lap appy of the Gravid patinet between 20-30 weeks.   Her abdomen is big enough for them to practice measuring fundal height with the variations.  THe students must assess the FHT and assess for cramping and spotting and contractions of the post op patient. 

Another simulation we use the Nursing anne for more sounds and actions and apply the pregnant abdomen and leave the belly plate for FHT sounds and then change to BS for bowel sounds assessment.  The family member can work the controls for the instructor.  We have them yaking and requiring medications for nausea and then cause the FHT to drop due to crossing the placenta barrier. 

Durcilla WIlliams, MSN, RN  Odessa College

Picture of Grace Moodt
by Grace Moodt - Wednesday, February 11, 2015, 1:59 PM

We also bought our NOELLE several years ago.  The EFM was included. We use it every semester in our skills fair to demonstrate a normal vaginal birth and nursing responsibilities. The object is to familiarize students with the process, it is always a success.  We have decided not to upgrade because the cost does not meet the benefit. The facility we take our students to uses their NOELLE to help staff members practice responses to specific obstetric emergencies such as shoulder dystocia or PPH. The staff feel better prepared to perform the specific maneuvers to improve patient outcomes.